This course delivers the skills and knowledge required to provide first aid response, life support, management of casualty(s), the incident and other first aiders, until the arrival of medical or other assistance.
First Aid training covers topics such as Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR); fractures and dislocations; burns and scalds; head, chest and spinal injuries; fainting and unconsciousness; bandaging techniques; severed limbs; poisoning, bites, stings.
,Who needs Childcare First Aid?
- First aid officers
- Parents & guardians
- Uni students for their degree
- Early childhood support staff
- Nannies & mannies
- Childcare workers
Minimum Entry Requirements
- A written application form
- Over 18 years old at the time of enrolment
- Successful completion of LLN assessment
- Identification Documents
- A Photo ID
Why should I study this course?
This unit of competency has been approved by Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) who have deemed it to satisfy all requirements for first aid, anaphylaxis management and emergency asthma training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011).
This course is suitable for anyone working in long day care, family day care, preschool and outside of school hours (OOSH) care services.
The training includes:
- Assessing the Situation
- Plan an appropriate first aid response
- Performing CPR for both Adults & Children
- Infection control & wound care
- Asthma, Anaphylaxis & mask training
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Seizures, Shock & Stroke
- Substance misuse – common drugs, alcohol, including illicit drugs
- Awareness of stress management techniques
- infection control procedures
- managing exposure to extreme temperatures
- administering first aid for eye & soft tissue injuries
- assessing and moving sick & injured
- legal responsibilities of a first aider.
Understanding use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
What is the Course Structure?
There are 4 components to this Childcare First Aid course:
- Pre-study and assessments
- Theory training in the classroom
- Practical training in the classroom
- Assessment for both knowledge and skills
- Internet connection
- Speaker or headphones
Online pre-study requirements
Online study requires access to the following resources to complete the pre-study for this unit:
It is recommended this unit be renewed every 3 years in line with industry standards.
Up to 10 Hours Pre course reading
This training is delivered in a Face to face session, approximately 6-8 hours. Course pre-work in the form of an online workbook, approximately 1-1.5 hours. Online workbook will be emailed to all participants soon after your booking has been made.
Contact us for more information
4 Units of Competency
What Units am I gaining knowledge in?
|HLTAID001||Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation|
|HLTAID002||Provide basic emergency life support|
|HLTAID003||Provide First Aid|
|HLTAID004||Provide an emergency first aid response in an Education & care setting|
Skills must be demonstrated working individually in an environment that provides realistic in-depth, industry-validated scenarios and simulations to assess candidates’ skills and knowledge.
Assessment may include:
- adult, child and infant resuscitation manikins in line with ARC Guidelines for the purpose of assessment of CPR procedures
- AED training device
- different types of training adrenalin auto-injector training devices (e.g. EpiPen and AnaPen)
- different types of placebo bronchodilators and a spacer device
- triangular bandages
- workplace First Aid kit
- workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form
- wound dressings
There is no funding available for this unit. However you may speak with one of our friendly staff